Thesis Fair Instructional Videos and Text
The event platform is brand new, developed specifically for our Thesis Fairs. Because of this, we have created instructional videos and accompanying text to help you understand how the platform works and what to do. Please watch each video and read the text before the event itself. These videos will also be on the platform so you can refresh your memory the day of.
This video contains all videos in one, it acts as a long video that covers all topics.
The instructional text is available per section below
This video reviews what to do on the Welcome Page and during the Open Word part of the event.
On the Welcome page you can:
- Change your username from the login name to your First and Last Name under Personal Details.
- Watch instructional videos and/or read the instructional text
- Look at photos from the event last year
- Look at the flyer from our partner ADS, Amsterdam Data Science
During the Open Word
We recommend that you do all of the listed tasks above during the Open Word, which starts at 13:00 and ends at 14:00 when the first speeddate takes place. We also recommend that you:
- Read the FAQs
- Check your Schedule
- Try the Private Chat Room
- This chat room is a chatroom only for you and your colleagues in your organisation. Students and the Thesis Fair Team cannot see this. Please note that it is not a secure chat so refrain from saying confidential information.
- You can use this chatroom to discuss which students you and your colleagues will meet with or discuss other things
- Look at the Help Chat Function
- Look at the students’ CVs listed on the right-hand side
During the Open Word you have the chance to read the FAQs and contact the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat if you have questions, issues, or require clarification on how the platform works.
During this time please check your schedule, it can be found under the Schedule tab. This schedule is personalised and shows all of the students you will be meeting with in the rounds.
This video reviews what to do if you need help or wish to speak with the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat
Behind the scenes there is a team of 9 people running the online event. Yasmin Santis, Thesis Fair Manager, and Ciara Snijders, Thesis Fair Coordinator, are orchestrating the event with the help of our two developers who created this online platform, and four event assistants who are providing you support on the Help Chat.
The Thesis Fair Team is here to help you and communicate with you in these different functions:
- Help Chat
- If you have any questions or issues please contact us immediately on the Help Chat tab. You can see that messages have been read when the tick marks turn blue
- Please check the FAQs section to see if your question is answered there
- Please note that the chat function in Microsoft Teams is not our Help Chat. We will be unable to see any of those conversations. If you need help during a speeddate, please click back into the event and contact us on the Help Chat
- Announcements from the Thesis Fair team will be sent to all participants via Broadcasts. These will be pop-ups that appear in your upper right corner
- Private Messages
- Someone from the Thesis Fair Team may reach out to you privately to ask you a question, i.e. if you are interested in a spontaneous speeddate during a round where you do not have a scheduled speeddate with a student.
This video reviews what to do during the speeddates
Between 14:00 – 16:36 there are 10 speeddate rounds scheduled lasting 10 minutes long. There is a transition period between each speeddate that lasts 4 minutes. You should have a scheduled student every round, but sometimes students are unable to make it last minute due to illness or other reasons. If a student does not appear for their speeddate please give them 30-60 seconds before contacting the Thesis Fair Team and requesting a spontaneous speeddate with an available student.
During the speeddates:
- Pick up the student you wish to meet with, or randomly, from the Waiting Room
- Some students you will have identified beforehand that you wish to speak with. Students who voted for your projects will show which project they voted for under their name
- Once you pick up a student from the Waiting Room a meeting link will be sent to the student. A new tab will open for the video conference.
- If you are meeting more than one student per round then click on two names instead on just one. The meeting link will be sent to those two students and the three of you will be in the same meeting.
- There are two types of video conferencing software being used, this type is determined by your organisation before the event. There is either Microsoft Teams or our own internal peer-to-peer system
- If you enter into a Teams meeting and there is no one on the other end, please wait for the student to let you in as you may be in the Teams Lobby.
- Once your meeting is over (you will be prompted by an audio reminder), please end the meeting and click back into the event. You will then be in the Transition round.
- Transition rounds last 4 minutes, this will give you an opportunity to get a quick drink, use the bathroom, or finish your notes from the previous meeting. You can also use this time to review the details of the students you plan to meet next
- If a student does not show up for your scheduled speeddate please allow for 30-60 seconds to elapse before reaching out to the Help Chat. We will then search for available students to have a spontaneous speeddate with you. If we are able to find a student for you we will send you a meeting link in a pop up. This type of meeting will always be with our internal peer-to-peer video system.
- As always, if you have issues or questions please contact us on the Help Chat.
- Once Round 10 is over at 16:36 the Open Fair will begin
This videos reviews what the Open Fair is and how it works
The Open Fair begins at 16:36 and ends at 17:00, and the event itself ends at 17:00. The Open Fair is a chance for you to speak with students who you did not meet with in a speeddate or for students you spoke with earlier to contact you and continue your conversations.
- Students will join your Waiting Room in the order of arrival. Please click students at the top of the list as they requested to speak with you first.
- Please note that there may not be students in your Waiting Room initially. Please keep an eye on your Waiting Room for the entire Open Fair in case a student does wish to speak with you
- You may also ask the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat if there are any students we can find for you
- Please keep each meeting to about 10 minutes or less. This will allow you to speak with multiple students who may be waiting to speak with you
- As always, if you have issues or questions please contact us on the Help Chat
- Take the opportunity to speak with multiple students during the Open Fair
- Once it is 17:00 it will no longer be possible to have any more meetings as the event will be over