Thesis Fair Instructional Videos and Text
The event platform is brand new, developed specifically for our Thesis Fairs. Because of this, we have created instructional videos and accompanying text to help you understand how the platform works and what to do. Please watch each video and read the text before the event itself. These videos will also be on the platform so you can refresh your memory the day of.
This video contains all videos in one, it acts as a long video that covers all topics.
The instructional text is available per section below
This video reviews what to do on the Welcome Page and during the Open Word part of the event.
On the Welcome page you can:
- Check your personal details and change/correct your name if there is a spelling mistake or only your first initial is written instead of your entire first name
- Upload your CV (PDF)
- Watch instructional videos and/or read the instructional text
- Look at photos from the event last year
- Look at the flyer from our partner ADS, Amsterdam Data Science
During the Open Word
We recommend that you do all of the listed tasks above during the Open Word, which starts at 13:30 and ends at 14:00 when the first speeddate takes place. We also recommend that you:
- Read the FAQs
- Check your Schedule
- Read the descriptions of all attending organisations under the Organisation tab
- Look at the Help Chat Function
During the Open Word you have the chance to read the FAQs and contact the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat if you have questions, issues, or require clarification on how the platform works.
During this time please check your schedule, it can be found under the Schedule tab. This schedule is personalised and is based upon the voting you did a couple of weeks ago. It is the same schedule you can find on DataNose, https://datanose.nl/#fairschedule.
This video reviews what to do if you need help or wish to speak with the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat
Behind the scenes there is a team of 9 people running the online event. Yasmin Santis, Thesis Fair Manager, and Ciara Snijders, Thesis Fair Coordinator, are orchestrating the event with the help of our two developers who created this online platform, and four event assistants who are providing you support on the Help Chat.
The Thesis Fair Team is here to help you and communicate with you in these different functions:
- Help Chat: If you have any questions or issues please contact us immediately on the Help Chat tab. You can see that messages have been read when the tick marks turn blue
- Please check the FAQs section to see if your question is answered there
- Please note that the chat function in Microsoft Teams is not our Help Chat. We will be unable to see any of those conversations. If you need help during a speeddate, please click back into the event and contact us on the Help Chat
- Broadcasts are announcements from the Thesis Fair Team. They will be sent to all participants via Broadcasts. These will be pop-ups that appear in your upper right corner
- Private Messages are sent by someone from the Thesis Fair Team, we may reach out to you privately to ask you a question, i.e. if you are interested in a spontaneous speeddate during a round where you do not have a scheduled speeddate.
This video reviews what to do during the speeddates
Between 14:00 – 16:36 there are 10 speeddate rounds scheduled lasting 10 minutes long. There is a transition period between each speeddate that lasts 4 minutes. You may not have a speeddate scheduled in each round. Halfway through there is a 24 minute break.
During the speeddates:
- Do not be late!
- Immediately join the waiting room for your next speeddate so that the representative can pick you up for a meeting once the round has started
- Once the representative picks you up you will be sent a link to join the meeting, this will be a pop up. Click on the meeting link and a new tab will open with the video conferencing
- There are two types of video conferencing software being used, this type is determined by the organisation. There is either Microsoft Teams or our own internal peer-to-peer system
- If you enter into a Teams meeting and there is no one on the other end, please check the Lobby to see if the representative is waiting to be let in. If so, then admit them to the meeting
- There may be an additional student in the meeting with you
- Once your meeting is over (you will be prompted by an audio reminder), please end the meeting and click back into the event. Then join the waiting room for your next meeting by clicking “Join Round X”.
- Transition periods last 4 minutes, this will give you an opportunity to get a quick drink, use the bathroom, or finish your notes from the previous meeting. You can also use this time to review the details of the organisation you will meet in the next round, you can find those details under the Organisations tab.
- If you are not scheduled for a meeting during one of the rounds, someone from the Thesis Fair Team may contact you and ask if you would be interested in a spontaneous speeddate. This will appear as a popup and you can click into the conversation by going to the Help Chat tab.
- An Event Assistant will ask you if you are interested in having a spontaneous speeddate with an organisation you are not scheduled to meet with. Take the chance to read about the organisation under the Organisation tab and then accept or decline the invitation.
- Once Round 10 is over at 16:36 the Open Fair will begin
This video reviews what to expect during the Open Fair
The Open Fair begins at 16:36 and ends at 17:00, and the event itself ends at 17:00. The Open Fair is a chance for you to speak with organisations you wanted to speak with but did not have a speeddate with or to continue your conversation from an earlier speeddate.
- Once Round 10 finishes your Schedule page will change and a dropdown menu will appear on the right-hand side. You can choose an organisation and the representatives will be listed.
- Representatives with a green circle are available for a meeting. Click “Join Waiting Room”
- Representatives with a red circle are in a meeting
- Representatives with a grey circle are offline
- Please keep each meeting to about 10 minutes or less. This will allow you to speak with multiple organisations if you wish and also permit your peers to meet with them as wellIf there are no available representatives please contact the Thesis Fair Team on the Help Chat and we will try and find one for you.
- Once you join a Waiting Room you will be listed by order of arrival. The representative will pick you up and a meeting link will be sent to you in the same manner as the speeddates
- As always, if you have issues or questions please contact us on the Help Chat
- Take the opportunity to speak with multiple organisations during the Open Fair
- Once it is 17:00 it will no longer be possible to have any more meetings as the event will be over